Saturday, December 4, 2010

Self Improvement #1: 'Douche' and all of its derivatives

In an attempt to make progress on this list (and, consequently, to have material for this blog) and develop some momentum, I have decided to dive headfirst into item #1 on the self-improvement subcategory: Choose a word or phrase and actively seek never to use it again.

I spent a bit of time mulling over what word or phrase I should select, ultimately coming to the realization that it wasn't particularly important which word I selected. I'm not limited to doing this only once, after all. Thus I decided that the best word for this challenge would be 'douche' - and all of its derivatives: douchebag, douchenozzle, doucher, and (much to my chagrin, having developed a certain fondness for the term as of late) turbo-douche.

From here on out, I will make the most sincere of efforts to ensure that I do not let slip any of the above. The primary advantage of this decision is that I feel that I have become somewhat uncreative in my insults as of late, and now I have forced myself to describe unpleasant people in ultimately more colorful and more accurate ways.

If you hear me use it, feel free to give me a friendly kick in the shins.

I think it's only fair that this restriction apply not only to the spoken word, but the written word as well (Facebook and other electronic correspondence included). Of course, there will have to be exceptions, particularly quotations and fictional dialogue, though even then I feel a certain increased restraint might be pertinent.

Up next: Films and the progress made so far

No comments:

Post a Comment